Pages

Search This Blog

November 16, 2017

Thanksgiving Countdown Day 3 | Tips for Getting Ready for House Guests



There is an extra level of prep required for overnight guests.  Not only does your living room, kitchen and dining room need to feel festive (and clean!), but now the rest of your house (even the nooks and crannies... and closets) are up for grabs. 

I try to think of all of the things they might need and have them ready in their room.  Guests don't want to feel like a burden, so saving them from having to ask for a phone charger or the wifi password will make them more comfortable.  Also, it is better being prepared than having to go searching for these items while you're trying to make Thanksgiving dinner.


Tip 1 : A Warm Welcome

A warm and festive welcome is always important.  I go an extra mile when we have family staying with us for the holidays.  I like for them to be completely enveloped in the holiday spirit.


Here, I've filled my hanging basket with bittersweet.  You can use fake or real - they both look good from outside.  After Thanksgiving, I'll swap it for red berries or really big and full evergreen cuttings.



Tip 2 : Clean Counters & Fresh Bottles

Now is the time to declutter those spaces (like kitchen counters) that we get used to, but can be areas that collect things.

I'm introducing some new bottles today - The Amber Bottle Collection.  I still love my clear, but this time of year I really like things that add a warmer feel.  These amber colored bottles really warm up our kitchen sink, powder room and shower.



Tip 3 : Add Seasonal Touches to the Guest Room

The Guest Room is the obvious place that needs the most care.  You can see our entire Guest Room Tour, here.  I've updated it for the season with a scented candle and some orange and rust colored roses. I try not to go overboard with "stuff" but I like a couple of considered items so make it feel cozy and homey.


This little creamer is part of my Cream & Sugar set (also one of my favorite gifts to give) but mostly gets used for flowers : )


Tip 4 : Wifi Password Ready

I like to write the Wifi Password on a tablet for them so they don't have to ask, and then I have to rummage around the junk drawer to find it.  It is easier to just always have it written in the room and I get it out when we are getting ready for guests.




Tip 5 : Chargers!

Every single time I travel, I forget my charger.  I'm going to assume our guests do the same.  Again, it saves them from having to ask and feel like a burden - so an extra goes in the room.

A big stack of fluffy towels is essential, too.  But the charger is probably more important ; )


Tip 6 : Add some Cozy Pillows & Throws

When you own a pillow store, your guests will likely expect to see some seasonal pillows spiffing up the room.  I warmed up our all pale blue guest room with some velvet and print pillows.  This is the Cashew Velvet Pillow + Red Berry Sprig Pillow.  


I actually love the combination of light blue and red - unexpected and chic.  The grey-brown of the cashew makes the room feel much warmer.


I have this light-weight herringbone throw ($68) on our bed and on the guest bed.  It is the perfect weight to use while curled up reading.  I've also been putting mine over my shoulders when I come down for breakfast in the morning - very cozy and soft.


Tip 7 : Stock the Shower 

I keep a set of Shower Bottles stocked in the guest shower with Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash & Lotion.



I love how uniform they are.  Also, since they aren't clear like my other bottles, they color of product doesn't show up - which is nice if you have products you like that are colorful.


Tip 8 : Extra Toiletries 

I also keep general toiletries in the guest room bathroom, too.


Tip 9 : Clean the Closet

One of the bigger tasks for me is making sure there is plenty of room in the closet.  This is our only spare closet so it is usually full of out of season things.


Tip 10 : Create a Relaxing Spot

If you have room in your guest room, it is really nice to be able to offer a private space for them to relax - instead of always being on the living room sofa.



One of the best things about our guest room is the view of fall colors out of the window.


Which are only visible in the photo when I lower the exposure.  Now you can see what I see.  Sort of : )


Tip 11 : To-Go Cups

Another Guest staple at our house is Paper To-Go Cups.  It is so nice to offer a hot cup of coffee, cocoa or cider when you set out on a walk in the morning or after the feast.


Tip 12 : Wraps for Walks & The Fire Pit

 Also, make sure you have an extra stash of cozy wraps for those chilly walks or gathering around the fire pit.

 

Wraps, $30-36 >

Thanks for continuing to follow along the Thanksgiving Countdown.  Read the rest of the countdown, here >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Jenny Steffens Hobick. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign